Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hands on, 1st and 2nd light


Now that I have had a few observing sessions I can share with you about the telescope. The first night I got out with it was really bad, the seeing was very low and the stars were all bumpy. I was able to find M31 and the double-star Mizar (ΞΆ Ursae Majoris), but that was about it. Also, I couldn't believe the finder scope sucked that much, it was even worse than the one on a RET-45 - which I've been able to test (it wasn't really a pleasure) - but then I noticed that the lens was all covered in frost. Ohh, what a relief. I have to make dew cap for that, so I won't get that kind of shocks again.

The next night I got out with it was pretty much perfect. I spotted M57, the Ring Nebula in Lyra, and it really was visible and pretty large too. The tube's resolution is crazy. Messier 13 in Hercules is stunning as well. The Mercedes sign is clearly visible and you can see thousands of separate stars which is quite impressive. You can't describe the feeling which you get when you actually see something so far away. It's kind of spooky and exiting to 'look back' in time 25 000 years ago, which is the time it takes from light to travel here.

The telescope has performed perfectly well for the few nights I've been observing with it. The stars have been incredibly sharp even though the collimation has been nothing but correct. Generally speaking, I think that I have got what I thought I'm going to get and I have been really happy. I really do recommend this scope and I haven't even been close to it's limits. In fact, I still use the 10mm and 25 mm eyepieces that come with it and the results have been great. I've also taken a bunch of pictures of Jupiter, and I'm planning on going for the Moon. The Celestron Omni barlow I ordered with the scope was out of stock in Villen Kello, so I'm going to get that later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment